>

Tuesday 29 December 2020

Legend (A Claire Whitcomb Western #3) by D.V. Berkom

 


Description from Goodreads:

"Vengeance can be a fickle mistress…

In the aftermath of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Claire accepts a job transporting a convicted murderer to prison. But Harry, the bounty hunter who captured the outlaw, is none too pleased to be sharing the reward—and trusting a woman to have his back.

Will Claire and Harry settle their differences and work together to deliver their captive to justice? Or will the murderer kill again to escape the noose?"


📚📚📚📚📚📚


If, like me, you tend to bypass the Western or Historical Fiction genres thinking they might be boring or not what you usually enjoy, can I give you a little advice?  Don't ... take a look at the blurb and if it sparks even a little light of interest, give it a go ... you never know, you might enjoy it.  I have certainly enjoyed this series and it is way off what I normally read.

This is a very satisfying third and, supposedly the last, book in the series featuring Claire Whitcomb with "Retribution" being the first and "Gunslinger" being the second.  Claire is a strong female in a time when strong females were frowned upon and she has to work doubly hard to follow the line of work she wishes and to prove herself amongst a world full of men; she does this with grace, dignity and style in this story filled with action and adventure set in the Wild West.

What I particularly enjoy is the references to real historical figures and places such as Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, Calamity Jane, Tombstone and the OK Corral; these are people and places I have grown up with (my dad and husband being avid Western watchers) and with adding a great character like Claire in amongst it all brought it to life even more for me.

My only gripe, which has continued over the three books, is that they aren't long enough ... you no sooner start when you have finished but maybe that's my fault and I read too quickly!

Having said that, I still highly recommend this series and D.V. Berkom as a whole; you won't be disappointed with anything she writes because, let's face it, what's not to like - great characters, immersive stories that transport you to different times and places, action, adventure, thrills and spills; she writes about it all with the bonus of the lead characters being strong females that aren't afraid to kick some behinds!  So, have a look at her back catalogue and get reading.

I am lucky to be a member of D.V. Berkom's ARTeam and was sent a copy of Legend before the official publication date of 12-January-2020 in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review and for which I am, once again, extremely grateful.


👇👇👇👇👇👇


Connect with the author:

👀👀👀👀👀👀


1 comment: