>

Sunday 20 December 2020

Gunslinger: A Claire Whitcomb Western (Claire Whitcomb Westerns Book 2)

 



Description from Goodreads:

"Never let tragedy define you.

After losing her family to renegade outlaws, Claire Whitcomb leaves Leadville, Colorado, headed for Tombstone. Armed with a Peacemaker, a rifle, and a letter of introduction to Wyatt Earp, Claire seeks a new life and new career in the Town Too Tough To Die. Along the way, she meets Isabella King, well-known actress and mistress of railroad magnate Jay Gould.

During an attempted train robbery Isabella’s security man is shot and killed, which leads her to hire Claire in his place. Unbeknownst to Claire, the actress is an assassin’s target.

Which means Claire is, too."


📚📚📚📚📚📚


I am not one for reading westerns or much historical fiction however, I am a fan of D.V.Berkom's work so was persuaded to read the first of the series "Retribution" and I surprised myself by enjoying it so jumped at the chance to read "Gunslinger" as I was itching to find out what Claire gets up to next.

D.V. has a great ability to create characters that you quickly become invested in and Claire is definitely one of those.  D.V. also creates strong, female characters that don't take any grief from the supposedly stronger gender and, again, Claire is most definitely one of these but her job is made even harder given the time and location in which this book is set.

I'm not going to go into the plot here, you will just have to read it, but what I will say is that you really get absorbed and transported to the Wild West and you are quickly captivated by the characters and drawn into this action packed story so much so that, before you know it, it's over and you are left wanting more and herein is the only gripe I have ... it's not long enough but maybe that's because I read too quickly!  

As I said, I usually give Westerns a wide berth as they are not my thing but this series has definitely made me think twice about doing this in the future and if you are of a similar opinion, I would suggest you do the same by giving this series a try ... you never know, you might change your mind and fine another genre to get your teeth into.

I am lucky to be a member of D.V. Berkom's ARTeam and was sent a copy of Gunslinger before the official publication date of 28-December-2020 in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review and for which I am extremely grateful and I don't have to wait long for book 3, "Legend", which is due to be published in January 2021 and which is already sat in my to-be-read pile just waiting for my hungry little eyes to be engrossed once again.


👇👇👇👇👇👇


Connect with the author:






👀👀👀👀👀👀




No comments:

Post a Comment