>

Sunday 19 December 2021

The Girl Upstairs [Audiobook] by Georgina Lees

 


[Narrated by Meg Travers]

Description from Goodreads:

"I heard Emily before I saw her. The harsh smack of heels against cheap wooden floorboards. The loud phone calls. The incessant music.

I knew Emily before I met her. Discarded receipts in our communal hallway. Sticky leftovers in the shared food waste bin. Wine shop vouchers in the letterbox.

Now she’s gone missing, and I’m the only one who can find her. The only one who can save her.

Because I know her best, and I heard everything.

The Girl Upstairs is a spine-tingling psychological thriller of grief and obsession that explores how lonely London can be and how sometimes it’s our neighbours who see us most, who know us best…"

🎧📚🎧📚🎧📚


I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook and whilst I personally wouldn't call it a psychological thriller, it's more of a mystery, it kept my attention and wanting to go back to listen to just one more chapter.

The two main characters of Emily and Suzie have quite sad stories to tell but for very different reasons.  The start of the book is told from Suzie's perspective and whilst it does start a little slow and you are wondering where this is going, once Emily's perspective comes in and it begins to switch between perspectives, it starts to get interesting and intriguing.  I admit that I didn't particularly warm to Suzie at first but she grew on me as the story developed and I got to know her better.

There is minimal violence, no blood or gore just a constant uneasiness and sense of menace sitting there waiting to creep up on you and whilst the reveal was a surprise, I did have a bit of an inkling so not the shock that I was expecting.

What I thought made this audiobook was the narrator; she kept my attention with her dulcet tones and whilst she used the same voice for all characters, there wasn't a second where I didn't know who was speaking.

Would I have enjoyed this book more if it was a physical one? Well after reading other reviews, it looks like possibly not so I would definitely recommend the audio version if you enjoy character-driven, mysteries told by an excellent narrator.

Thank you to HarperCollins UK Audio and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited copy.

👇👇👇👇👇👇

Connect with the author:






No comments:

Post a Comment