>

Saturday 11 December 2021

Sins of Fathers by Michael Emmett

 


Description from Goodreads:


"Like many little boys, Michael Emmett idolised his father. Growing up, he knew he wanted to follow in his dad’s footsteps and join the family business. At just 16 years old, Michael did just that – and entered the glamourous, dangerous world of organised crime.

Under the tutelage of his career criminal father – a contemporary of the infamous Kray twins – Michael’s criminal activities funded a reckless lifestyle marked by drugs, sex and violence. But the high couldn’t last forever. In 1993, Michael and his father were arrested in a dramatic confrontation with the police during a £13 million smuggling operation. Michael was sentenced to twelve years behind bars and would serve his time in the same prison as his father.

But behind the walls of HMP Exeter, Michael found something he never expected – answers. After joining an Alpha prayer group in prison, he had an experience that would shake the very foundations of his life.

Sins of Fathers is the story of Michael’s journey through chaos and trauma to the transformation he experienced in prison. It asks what it takes for a broken man to find redemption, and how he can learn to be the father he never had."

📚📚📚📚📚📚

I am so so disappointed with this book.  I was really looking forward to reading something a bit different to what I usually read but I don't think I have ever felt so deflated as I did with this.

I just couldn't get past the author's use of the word "naughty" to describe some pretty horrific and violent behaviour.  According to the Collins English Dictionary, naughty is defined as "(esp of children or their behaviour) mischievous or disobedient; bad" and/or "mildly indecent; titillating".  To me, that definition does not correlate with fatally stabbing someone and that is just one instance; the word "naughty" is used a lot and I mean, a lot.

Another thing that irked me somewhat was the glamorisation and glorification of a life of crime and violence and I felt the voice of the book was quite childish and there were times when I struggled to keep up with where I was in the timeline.

Having said all of the above, I realise this is Michael's story; it is his life he is writing about ... warts and all ... and therefore he should be forgiven for using the words and language that is the norm for him but, for me, I just couldn't get on with it and therefore struggled to read it.

In the end though, what I took from this book is that anyone can change; it might take a couple of tries but it can happen and those that do, should be applauded because it's easy just to keep doing what you have always known regardless of the hurt and pain it causes you, those you love and those you come into contact with.

My thanks must go to HarperCollins UK / HarperInspire via NetGalley for providing me with a copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review.

📚📚📚📚📚📚

No comments:

Post a Comment