>

Saturday 11 December 2021

The Couple on Maple Drive [Audiobook] by Sam Carrington

 

[Read by Georgia Maguire and Elliot Fitzpatrick]

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯ published 09-December-2021 πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯


Description from Goodreads:

"Have you heard about the couple on Maple Drive?

Isla barely leaves the house after her brutal mugging.

Her boyfriend Zach moved in with her after the attack. To look after her.

But something else has happened now. Right on their doorstep.

I don’t want to say that someone’s out to get her…

I just hope they find out the truth before it’s too late."


πŸŽ§πŸ“šπŸŽ§πŸ“šπŸŽ§πŸ“šπŸŽ§


Only my second foray into the world of audiobooks and, once again, I have not been disappointed.

From the off, you are drawn into a situation being told via a live Podcast from Christie's Crime Addicts; something awful has happened on Maple Drive but the "what" isn't clear.  The story then presents the "whens" and "whys" leading up to the "situation" interspersed with more Podcasts.  This does sound like it's going to be a tad confusing but let me reassure you, it most certainly isn't; it flows really well and makes perfect sense.

The characters are an interesting bunch but not so many that you become confused.  Isla is, I admit, a little annoying and naΓ―ve; you want to shout and shake her and soothe and swaddle her in equal measure but considering what she has been through and what transpires, she can be forgiven and with friends like Nikki, you don't need enemies!

The story moves on at a good pace gradually ramping up the tension as it goes until the slightly unexpected ending; I say slightly as I had already guessed one of the twists but this was then turned on it's head when another came along ... I love it when that happens!

As this was an audiobook, I must mention the narrators which, I think, were excellent with the main narrator really drawing you in with her voice.  I also enjoyed the Podcasts being narrated by different voices of the Christie's Crime Addicts team, I don't think they would have had such an impact on the story if they had been by the same narrator so a stroke of genius there I feel.

Overall, The Couple on Maple Drive is an intriguing story that I thoroughly enjoyed and certainly made my car journeys much more enjoyable so much so that I didn't want to stop the book when I come to the end of my travels and there were a few times when I sat there, parked up with the engine off for just one more chapter!

Thank you to HarperCollins UK Audio and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review.

πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Connect with the author:



No comments:

Post a Comment