>

Sunday 10 March 2024

The Therapy Room (FBI Agent Susan Parker #1) by Sam Baron


Description from Goodreads:

"It’s a typical farm kitchen. A large table fills the space, and in one of the chairs is the lifeless body of Doctor Magnusson. Under his feet and the dusty wooden floorboards lie the basement – and twelve therapy rooms. Behind each locked door, the victims are about to be rescued…

When a world-renowned psychiatrist is found dead in an abandoned ranch house in the Californian Santa Carina Valley, a post-it note with the words ‘Susan Parker’ and her cell phone number is taped to the basement door.

Still grieving her husband’s devastating suicide less than a year ago, FBI agent Susan Parker is taking a break from work and trying to rebuild her life as a single mom to her seven-year-old daughter Natalie. When she’s called to the crime scene of Doctor Magnusson, a chill runs down her spine.

For years, Susan had been trying to hunt down the doctor, convinced he was the serial killer known as ‘Splinter.’ Someone is playing a cruel game with her, and they’ve only just begun.

Desperate to speak to the twelve victims rescued from the locked therapy rooms, Susan finds herself faced with a wall of silence. Why won’t they talk?

Battling her demons while confronting the toughest case she’s ever had to solve. Susan discovers a chilling truth about the true nature of ‘Splinter’ – a killer preying on those seeking therapy.

But that’s not all she finds…

She’s about to uncover a shocking secret behind her husband’s death – one that links him to the Splinter case.

With her family’s safety hanging in the balance and her career on the line, can Susan protect her precious daughter and prevent a new killing spree before it’s too late?"

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I love coming into a series with the very first book as I like to be where it all starts and whilst some can be a hit and some a miss, this is a semi-hit for me but it could have been an absolute stunner.

Susan is a great character; strong, tenacious and not afraid of ruffling some feathers but she is also a widow and a mum with a sad and tragic history -this is a bit of a clichΓ© as are some of the other characters in the book which made me actually tut and give my head a little shake at times.

I did like the way she worked with her team and felt the camaraderie between them clearly and I am looking forward to getting to know them more in future books however, I found some of their dialogue strange and not what I would have expected.

The plot is intriguing and whilst I pegged the "bad guy" early on, I did quite like the way the story got there but felt it took a bit too long and was a bit long-winded even when, strangely, the time period jumped ahead which felt a bit out of sync.  I also wasn't expecting the ending and tried to flick to the next page to keep reading only to find ... nothing ... I now have to wait until the next book!!!! 

There are other little niggles and inconsistencies that I noticed however, it is a creditable debut and I would like to see how the series develops.  Thanks to the author, Storm Publishing and NetGalley for enabling me to read and share my thoughts of this, the first in an intriguing new series.

πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Connect with the author:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment