>

Sunday 13 November 2022

The Midwife by Victoria Jenkins [Audiobook]


Narrated by Anne-Marie Piazza

Description from NetGalley:

"She’s there to keep your baby safe… Or is she?

I’ve always wanted a baby, more than anything. I never meant to do it alone, but it’ll be a fresh start. I can finally leave the past behind me.

I’m so lucky to have Jackie, my midwife, who understands how hard this is. She supports me more than anyone could have hoped or expected.

But as I sit in this cold white room, that was meant to be full of other mothers to be, a chill creeps up my spine. There’s only one other mother here, and she’s clutching her bump nervously. And as she squirms under Jackie's questions, Jackie can’t stop staring at me.

And then something clicks, and my blood freezes. She recognises me, doesn't she?"

🎧📚🎧📚🎧📚🎧

This is the first book I have read/listened to by this author and it will likely not be my last as I quite enjoyed this.  I do think it worked really well as an audiobook; would I have thought the same if I had actually read it?  I'm not sure as it was quite a slow burn but it was perfect to listen to whilst in the car.

The two main characters, Lauren and Jackie, are really interesting and well developed.  It is clear they both have secrets but quite what they are and how they link to each other doesn't become clear until the end.  

As I said, this is a slow burn with a growing sense of tension and unease from the beginning and this kept me listening desperate to find out what the twist was going to be and, overall, I wasn't disappointed.

The narrator, Anne-Marie Piazza, did a good job with the narration and she was easy to listen to.

Overall, a satisfying audiobook and many thanks to Bookouture Audio and NetGalley for enabling me to listen and share my thoughts of The Midwife.

👇👇👇👇👇👇

Connect with the author:



No comments:

Post a Comment