>

Sunday 23 January 2022

The New Girl by Ruth Heald

 



πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯ Publication date 25-January-2022 πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯


Description from Goodreads:

"Behind her dream life hides the perfect nightmare.

I couldn’t believe it when I got the call to offer me my dream job. It was right in the heart of the city with a flat provided. I jumped at the chance and within days I had made new friends and am dating a wonderful man. For the first time in years, I feel safe.

It’s a world away from the life I ran from…

But soon strange things begin to happen in my flat: odd noises in the night, the feeling that I’m being watched. When I discover an old dress hidden behind my wardrobe and wear it to work, the atmosphere chills instantly. The dress belonged to a girl my boss would rather forget. The girl before me who vanished without a trace. 

I tell myself not to worry; that I’m just imagining things. But when a young woman arrives on my doorstep, she warns me to leave my new life behind. She tells me there are more girls like me and we are more connected than I could have ever imagined. 

Then I come face to face with the reason I ran all those years ago and it soon becomes clear: someone knows my secret. And they will do anything to keep me silent."

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

After experiencing an horrific event whilst at university, Sophie has tried to re-build her life and put her past behind her.  She is not happy at home and wants more from her life and when she is offered a job in London that sounds perfect and will give her the new start she is desperate for, she jumps at the chance but what's the saying "If it sounds too good to be true ... it probably is!"

Sophie is, in my opinion, a little naΓ―ve and pretty gullible.  There were red flags and flashing warning signs everywhere but Sophie didn't seem to see them ... really???  A little implausible given her past, but I found the anticipation of how and when the penny would drop for her was quite engaging.

Full of interesting characters, well written and at a good pace, this is an enjoyable thriller with contemporary themes and whilst it isn't full of violence, blood or gore, there is a palpable sense of unease throughout.  Some of the twists were quite obvious (to me anyway) and whilst the ending was satisfactory, the epilogue was disappointing in it's unrealistic outcome.

If you can get past the frustration of wanting to put your hands in the book and shake some sense into Sophie, this is an entertaining read and my thanks must go to Bookouture and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review.

πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Connect with the author:


No comments:

Post a Comment