>

Sunday 11 November 2018

The Doll Collector by Joanna Stephen-Ward


Description from Goodreads:

"Murders that look like accidents. An accident that looks like murder.
A couple and their young son burn to death in a house fire.
A girl dies from a nut allergy.
A woman falls under a train during the rush hour.
An accountant falls down the steps to his basement.

Their deaths appear to be accidents but Gloria knows they were murdered because she murdered them. And every time Gloria kills she buys a doll.

But how many dolls will she need to keep her satisfied? 

When Gloria takes a room as a lodger her behaviour starts to spin out of control. Gloria wants love and happiness and friendship and she will do anything she can to get what she wants..."


<><><><><><><>


Once again, this is a love it or hate it book and, once again, I find myself saying that I was strangely entertained ... maybe that says more about me - should I be worried?!?

The main character in this book, Gloria, is a thoroughly despicable person.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I disliked her BUT she is perfect for the story ... not only is she a thoroughly loathsome and abhorrent person, she is as mad as a box of frogs let me tell you; I am so pleased that I don't need a lodger or have her living next door to me!

The other characters are a bit "meh" to be honest; very few redeeming qualities amongst any of them, they are a little wooden and one-dimensional which was a little disappointing.

The story is quite unique; it was a refreshing change to have the female as the dominating character over the male and the writing flowed well and at a good pace.  The dolls only feature a few times which was odd given the title of the book and although we did get a glimpse as to how and why Gloria started her collection, I don't think this was fleshed out enough.

Overall, although it's not perfect and everything wraps up rather too simplistically, this book is oddly enjoyable and that ending ... I didn't see that coming!

Thank you to the publisher, Bloodhound Books, via NetGalley for my advanced e-copy in return for an honest and unbiased review.


<><><><><><><>


No comments:

Post a Comment