>

Sunday 14 July 2024

The Housemaid is Watching (The Housemaid #3) by Freida McFadden [Audiobook]


 ðŸŽ™ðŸŽ™ðŸŽ™ Narrated by Ina Marie Smith and Lauryn Allman 🎙🎙🎙

Description from Goodreads:

"“You must be our new neighbors!” Mrs. Lowell gushes and waves across the picket fence. I clutch my daughter’s hand and smile back: but the second Mrs. Lowell sees my husband a strange expression crosses her face. In that moment I make a promise. We finally have a family home. My past is far, far behind us. And I’ll do anything to keep it that way…

I used to clean other people’s houses—now, I can’t believe this home is actually mine. The charming kitchen, the quiet cul-de-sac, the huge yard where my kids can play. My husband and I saved for years to give our children the life they deserve.

Even though I’m wary of our new neighbor Mrs. Lowell, when she invites us over for dinner it’s our chance to make friends. Her maid opens the door wearing a white apron, her hair in a tight bun. I know exactly what it’s like to be in her shoes.

But her cold stare gives me chills…

The Lowells’ maid isn’t the only strange thing on our street. I’m sure I see a shadowy figure watching us. My husband leaves the house late at night. And when I meet a woman who lives across the way, her words chill me to the bone: Be careful of your neighbors.

Did I make a terrible mistake moving my family here?

I thought I’d left my darkest secrets behind. But could this quiet suburban street be the most dangerous place of all?"

📚🎧📚🎧📚🎧📚

I have listened to the first in this series which introduced me to Millie but for some reason, I missed number two.  However, I really feel this, the third in the series, can easily be listened to/read as a standalone successfully - I think I did miss out on the development of Millie but it did not affect my enjoyment of this book.

Millie, her husband and two young children have recently moved their dream new house on a quiet street in a good area but soon things start to go awry and when their neighbour is found dead with stab wounds and his throat cut, Millie's husband is arrested but is he guilty or is there something much more disturbing going on?

This was a good listen; the narrators did a great job and kept me going back to listen to more.  The first third of the book was a bit slow but it set the scene well; the last two thirds were fast paced and I made excuses to make a cake just so I could keep listening.  The characters are a mixed bunch - some good, some bad and some very annoying - but a great mix and it was nice to see Millie's development.  The plot was great and the mystery intriguing; I did see one of the twists but not the last one which took me by surprise in a nice way!

Overall, a great book to listen to and lose yourself for a few hours and I must thank the author, Bookouture Audio and NetGalley for enabling me to listen to and share my thoughts on this great story.

👇👇👇👇👇👇

Connect with the author:


👀👀👀👀👀👀

Read my review of the first book in the series:




No comments:

Post a Comment