>

Tuesday 20 July 2021

The Killer Inside (Joe Stark #3) by Matthew Frank

 


Description from Goodreads:

"Julian Sinclair is a serial killer.

Charming, manipulative, deadly. He hunted girls for sport, and it's high time justice was served.

But when Sinclair's conviction is thrown out in court, DC Joseph Stark and DS Fran Millhaven find themselves forced to protect the man they're sure is guilty from those who would see him pay in blood.

Then another girl dies.

And Sinclair can't have killed her from his hospital bed.

Is a killer lurking inside someone they never suspected?

And have they had the wrong man all along?"

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

Loved it - proper rollercoaster of a ride that I didn't want to get off!

At first, I didn't realise this was the third in the series starring Joe Stark as I have never read anything by Matthew Frank before but first the title and then the blurb enticed me and had I not read some other reviews first, I wouldn't have known.  So, I can safely say that this can be read as a standalone because although I have probably missed a lot of backstory and character development, for me it didn't detract from my enjoyment one little bit.

I absolutely love the character of Joe Stark - yes, he is a bit of a clichΓ© being ex-military with a troubled history now working within the police but, for me, this made him an interesting and complex character.  The supporting cast were equally well developed and I think Julian Sinclair was a great "baddie".

At first, you think the plot is going to be pretty simple and straightforward but as the book progresses, it becomes more complex; the police investigation plays this out really well with them struggling to put the pieces of the puzzle together with many of their leads ending in dead ends.  The politics within the police also provide an interesting side story as does Joe's complicated life.

This is fast paced with plenty of twists and action.  It is also a dark read with some scenes that some might find disturbing so if you are easily shocked, I would give this a miss but I would definitely recommend this to others who enjoy this genre and eagerly await the next instalment.

Thank you to Penguin Michael Joseph UK and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest and unbiased review.

πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Connect with the author:









No comments:

Post a Comment