>

Saturday 19 September 2020

Child Behind The Wall (Paterson & Clocks #6) by Steve Parker

 


Description from Goodreads:

"4 a.m. on the outskirts of London

A police squad descend swiftly on a house, eager to exploit the rare opportunity of catching a burglar in the act.

Nothing could have prepared them for what they find.

From inside a room on the ground floor, comes the eerie sound of a woman singing, ‘the childmaker . . . the childmaker . . . beware the childmaker’.

Four officers break down the door to enter a darkened room. Their flashlights illuminate the body of a man with a knife in his chest and a bloody mess where his face should be.

Nearby, stands a small, thin woman. In her hand is a kitchen knife . . .

By the time, Detectives Ray Paterson and Johnny Clocks arrive at the scene, there is carnage.

But what is bricked up behind the wall is far, far worse."


📚📚📚📚📚📚


Never having read anything by this author before let alone any of the others in this series, I took a punt based on the blurb and I certainly wasn't disappointed and I was absolutely hooked from page 1.

On his website, Mr Parker describes "My style of writing is hard-hitting, fast-paced, violent and carry moral messages that you might have to dig a bit deeper for. I try not to use more words than is necessary although more than a few of them are of the swearing variety. Hey! People swear. And they swear a ******* lot in my world.  I will unashamedly tackle issues where some writers fear to tread."  I would say this is a pretty accurate reflection - this book is not for the feint-hearted; it contains bad language and graphic scenes which leave nothing to the imagination so be warned!

This is a fast-paced, action packed read from the first to the last page with twists and turns and shocks along the way.  The characters are an interesting and eclectic bunch with the 2 main protagonists of Paterson and Clocks being, what I would describe, an acquired taste - Mr Parker advises that they are based loosely on characters he has known throughout his 20 year career in the Police ... all I can say is that if I knew Clocks in particular, I would have probably disliked him intensely on first impression however, I can see a very loyal friend who would do anything for you plus there is definitely a troubled softie in there.  Having said that, I still found him annoying!

The main plot is hard-hitting and totally gripping - there is some humour interspersed throughout which did provide some much needed lighter moments.  The sub-plots are intriguing and an interesting insight into the politics within the various echelons within the Police; these, I assume, are linked to previous cases covered in earlier books in the series.  Like I said, I haven't read any of the others but didn't find this too confusing but I do think I was missing the backstory somewhat which probably impacted on my overall enjoyment of the story as a whole but this is my fault rather than the fault of the author.

This is a no-holds-barred, gritty thriller that I would recommend to any who enjoy the harsher stories dealing with horrific crimes but, as I have said, it does contain gruesome details of crimes against children so if this isn't your preference, then I wouldn't go there but you will be missing out on a really excellent book.

Many thanks go to Joffe Books via NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review.


📚📚📚📚📚📚


Connect with the author:


Website

Twitter

Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment