>

Monday 27 January 2020

The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke #5) by Michael Wood



Blurb from Goodreads:

"It’s the most disturbing crime scene DCI Matilda Darke has ever seen…

The morning after a wedding reception at a beautiful suburban home in Sheffield, the bride’s entire family are stabbed to death – in a frenzied attack more violent than anything DCI Matilda Darke could have imagined.

Forensics point to a burglar on the run across the country. But cracks are starting to appear in Matilda’s team, someone is playing games with the evidence – and the killer might be closer to home than they thought…"


📖📖📖📖📖📖


This is the fifth in this series starring DCI Matilda Darke but only the second I have read having previous been lucky enough to read the first in the series "For Reasons Unknown" which introduced DCI Darke to the world.  Having missed the books in-between and although I have likely missed out on a lot of back story, I didn't feel it detracted from my enjoyment of this book and I felt it worked well as a standalone.

This book starts with the gruesome and brutal murder of 3 family members on the night they were celebrating a family wedding.  This is a seemingly motiveless crime against a perfect family ... but can there be such a thing?  What follows is the complex investigation by DCI Darke and her Homicide and Major Investigation Team.

The characters are interesting, likeable (mostly) and believable and I quickly became invested in them and their lives.  The plot is complex with multiple layers and lines of enquiry and with twists and turns and red herrings aplenty; it certainly kept me on my toes from start to finish and didn't disappoint.

The Murder House is a dark, gripping, thrilling and well paced story which I have no hesitation in recommending to lovers of crime novels like myself and thank you to One More Chapter (an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers) and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest review.


📖📖📖📖📖📖


Connect with the author:





No comments:

Post a Comment