>

Saturday 10 September 2016

Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan


"An enjoyable read"




Description from Goodreads:

"Margot Lewis is the agony aunt for The Cambridge Enquirer. Her advice column, Dear Amy, gets all kinds of letters - but none like the one she's just received:

Dear Amy,

I don't know where I am. I've been kidnapped and am being held prisoner by a strange man. I'm afraid he'll kill me.

Please help me soon,
Bethan Avery

Bethan Avery has been missing for years. This is surely some cruel hoax. But, as more letters arrive, they contain information that was never made public. How is this happening? Answering this question will cost Margot everything . . .
"


**************************************************

This is a really difficult book to review without giving away any of the story or dropping spoilers so I will have to keep it brief.

This is a well-written psychological thriller which, for the most part, is fast paced - the latter stages of the book being more so. The main character, Margot, is well developed and a complex but flawed person; a little paranoid and prone to bouts of whining (aren’t we all!) but it was a little tiresome at times and this reduced my ability to connect with her or really care that much about her and her plight. The plot is fairly enjoyable with parts of it being plausible but with some of it being a little over the top. I liked the writing style which was easy to read and flowing.

Overall, an enjoyable read but not one that I can be overly enthusiastic about but I would read more of Helen Callaghan’s books in the future and thanks to the publisher, Penguin UK Michael Joseph via NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest review and for introducing me to another new British author.


**************************************************

Author website - click here

Twitter - hecallaghan

Publisher - Penguin UK Michael Joseph


**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment