>

Sunday 8 November 2015

Nowhere Girl by Ruth Dugdall



Description from Goodreads:

A psychological crime novel from an author with 10 years experience as a probation officer in high security prisons

When Ellie goes missing on the first day of Schueberfouer, the police are dismissive, keen not to attract negative attention on one of Luxembourg’s most important events, its annual city fair. Probation officer Cate Austin has moved for a fresh start, along with her daughter Amelia, to live with her police detective boyfriend, Olivier Massard. But when she realizes just how casually he is taking the disappearance of Ellie, Cate decides to investigate matters for herself. She discovers Luxembourg has a dark heart. With its geographical position, could it be the center of a child trafficking ring? As Cate comes closer to discovering Ellie’s whereabouts she uncovers a hidden world, placing herself in danger, not just from traffickers, but from a source much closer to home.


**************************************************

I haven’t read anything by this particular author before but because I had read and reviewed Before It’s Too Late by Jane Isaac for the Publisher - Legend Press via NetGalley, I was invited to read this one by the same Publisher. Well, not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I accepted but unfortunately I was left a little disappointed.

Although the book is well written and easy to read, it was also easy to put down and didn’t have that “just one more chapter before I go to sleep” moment which I found a little bit sad because I hate it when that happens. Unfortunately, I did not feel a connection to any of the characters which is a shame and, in addition, none of the characters seemed to have much of a connection with each other either particularly Cate and Olivier. Now I got the impression that Cate and Olivier are a fairly new couple and should still be in the stages of ‘dreamy-eyed love’ but I didn’t get that sense at all … don’t get me wrong, I’m not one for romance and gushing love but they just seemed to be on totally separate wavelengths to me … it’s really hard to explain but it felt unnatural.

The story itself is interesting and whilst parts are scarily believable and there were a couple of twists I didn’t see coming, the way it played out felt a bit too contrived for me and how it was all wrapped up at the end felt rushed and a little far-fetched. I did however like how the story was told from different perspectives and I particularly liked Amina and found her the most interesting character in the book.

Overall, it wasn’t a bad read but rather I found it a bit frustrating and it just didn’t grab me as much a I would have liked. From reading other reviews, I get the feeling that to get the most out of this particular book, you need to have read the previous one which introduced Cate - “Humber Boy B” - so I would recommend to anyone thinking of buying this, to buy and read that one first.

No comments:

Post a Comment