>

Saturday 8 August 2015

Three Sisters by Helen Smith




Description from Goodreads:

"Three Sisters introduces twenty-six-year-old amateur sleuth Emily Castles in this entertaining new mystery series from best selling British author Helen Smith.

Emily receives an invitation to a party in a large house at the end of her street, hosted by a mysterious troupe of circus performers. She accepts, despite her misgivings, because her dog has died and she needs cheering up. But when she witnesses a murder in the midst of the surreal entertainment, no one will believe what she has seen. Is Emily befuddled with grief at the loss of her pet? Or has something wicked happened in plain sight of all the party-goers? Emily and her eccentric neighbours attempt to discover the truth in a charming story that will have you giggling at every funny line.

"Readers of M C Beaton or Alexander McCall Smith will enjoy discovering a new mystery author."

Chosen as a "Book of the Year" by Elizabeth at The Frugal Ereader.

This short mystery is a standalone story set in London. The Emily Castles mysteries can be read in any order.
"

****************************************

Thank you to the author for send me a copy of this book in return for an honest review - this in no way influenced my review as you will see.

I had absolutely no expectations with this book having never heard of the author or of the main character, Emily, but have to say that I was a little disappointed especially having seen the many 4 and 5 star reviews it has received.

Maybe it’s me but I just found too much wrong with it to enjoy it and I’m sorry about that. I found nothing redeeming about Emily, I didn’t warm to her at all nor did I find any of the other characters particularly likeable or interesting - they were just all a bit weird. I found the dialogue between the characters was stilted and unnatural. The “mystery” the story claimed to be was given away by the title [why would you do that?] and, in fact, the only mystery for me is what significance does the recently deceased dog have to the story [baffled].

I really don’t like leaving bad reviews for anyone as I know how much of themselves, blood, sweat and tears the authors put into their writing but I really can’t find anything positive about this book apart from that I was glad it was only a short story.

I realise that I am in the minority with my review so I may have missed something so I suggest you give it a go and make your own mind up.

****************************************

Sign up for Helen Smith's Book News and receive a FREE Kindle copy of one of Helen Smith's books: http://helensmithbooks.com/gr

No comments:

Post a Comment