>

Wednesday 29 April 2015

Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson





Description from Goodreads:

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love—all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Welcome to Christine's life.



**************************************************

I started this book with high expectations given all the hype that has preceded it and, overall, I wasn't disappointed and I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher, Random House UK/Transworld Publishing, for my copy in return for an unbiased review.

The story centres around and is told by the main character, Christine. I won’t bore you with a detailed outline of the story as this has already been done by others and the description sets it out in a nutshell. 

The overall concept of the story is interesting and engaging. I have seen a few reviews that criticise the author for not being accurate in respect of the type of amnesia or the plausibility and inconsistencies of the story but I found it compulsive and captivating. Is this likely to happen in real life … probably not; are there parts of the book that just happen to fall conveniently into place … yes … but did it keep me reading and going back for more …. yes it did.

The pace and style of writing made it easy to read and I felt the author captured Christine’s absolute fear and confusion every morning on waking and the trials and tribulations she went through to find out what happened to her extremely well. I went along for the ride and enjoyed trying to work things out in tandem with Christine. The penny dropped for me quite quickly but this didn't ruin the ending which was full of action and tension and I liked seeing how the story unfolded for Christine.

The characters are interesting and complex but I did find them a little bit lacking in brain cells at times and not reacting in a way that I would expect. I would like to give some examples here but I don’t want to give away any spoilers to those that are yet to read this book, I will just let you find them yourselves.

I admit that this book isn't the best psychological thriller/mystery that I have read but I was still entertained and I would recommend it to anyone who likes reading these types of books but don’t expect anything too scary or dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment